Thursday, June 26, 2008

Ralph E. Miles, murdered

Jas. H. Foy returned this morning from Ft. Pierre, bringing with him the body of R. E. Miles who was murdered in his claim shanty near there last Sunday evening. A post examination held the following day showed that four shots from a 44 calibre revolver had entered his body, two entering his breast and passing out through the shoulders, one passing through the right arm and the fourth bullet, evidently fired after he had fallen to the floor, entered under the left shoulder blade and went through to his mouth, but it could not be located. A neighbor by the name of Hintz was arrested for the crime and is at present in jail at Ft. Pierre awaiting trial. The evidence is only circumstantial, he having been heard to make threats upon the life of Mr. Miles only a few days before. The news of Ralph's death was received here with sorrow by his old friends and neighbors where he formerly lived. He was an inoffensive man and always attended strictly to his own business and was the last person earth one would expect to have trouble of any kind. Standard has not been able to learn when the funeral will be held. His sister is expected to arrive from California tomorrow to take charge of the remains. It is expected that the body will be laid to rest by the side of his mother who is buried in the Dixon cemetery.
Transcribed from clipping in scrapbook. Clark County SD newspaper, circa 1914-19.
The funeral of Ralph Miles who was murdered in his shanty near Ft. Pierre on Sunday night of last week, was held at the Methodist church Tuesday afternoon and the services were conducted by Rev. Spicer, pastor of the Free Methodist church. The church was crowded by friends and neighbors of the deceased, who were there to pay their last respects to the departed. Mr. Miles was well thought of here where he lived for a number of years. He was of a rather quiet disposition, and always considerate for the welfare of those around him. A letter from the minister at Ft. Pierre was read at the funeral showing that he held the friendships of all the settlers out there in the neighborhood where he was located, while the man who is supposed to have caused his death was of a very quarrelsome disposition and had been in trouble with his neighbors on former occasions. The deceased was born in Potsdam, NY May 18, 1858, going fromthere in 1879 to Iowa and moving to South Dakota about 10 years ago. He leaves a father and 2 sisters to mourn his loss. His brother-in-law, Mr. Reed, was present at the funeral and took charge of the remains, which were buried by the side of his mother in the Dixon cemetery.

No comments: